Animal Health (Animal Husbandry II)
Animal Health (Animal Husbandry II) BAG201
A solid introduction to animal health, where you learn to assess animal health, explain a variety of conditions and identify appropriate treatments or responses to a range of more common complaints or illnesses.
Learn about disease classification, causes and diagnosis of disease, fever and immunity, tissue repair, inflammation, cell changes and much more.
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- Introduction to Animal Health -
- Learn to describe common diseases affecting farm animals and the circumstances under which animals contract these diseases - the healthy animal, causes of ill health, preventing ill health
- Signs & Symptoms of Diseases -
- The physical symptoms of diseases in farm animals - common methods of handling animals during health assessments, recognising ill health, restraining a horse, sheep handling facilities
- Disease Classification -
- Methods used in classifying animal diseases
- viral diseases, bacterial diseases, parasitic diseases, protozoal diseases, disease types in beef cattle, diseases in sheep
- Causes and Diagnosis of Disease -
- The causes of disease and the relevant methods of diagnosis - examining cattle, examining a horse, ticks, tick-borne diseases, diagnosis of diseases
- Treatment of Disease -
- Methods used in the treatment of diseases in farm animals - vaccination, the animal first aid kit, tetanus antiserum, animal nursing, quarantine, slaughter, post mortem, disease prevention in cattle, disease prevention in sheep, treatment of parasites in sheep
- Inflamation -
- Outline the nature and causes of inflammation in farm animals - the inflammatory response, causes of inflammation, types of inflammation, symptoms of inflammation, inflammatory exudate, treatment of inflammation
- Fever and Immunity -
- The biological mechanisms underlying fever and the immune system in farm animals - the fever mechanism, other temperature related disorders, effect of temperature on enzymes, immunity
- Tissue Repair -
- The biological mechanisms underlying tissue repair in farm animals - healing of a clean incised wound, healing of an open wound, common horse ailments to recognise
- Wounds -
- The biological mechanisms of wounds in farm animals and address different treatment methods for repair of common ailments - types of wounds, first aid treatments, bandaging horses, emergencies
- Cell changes -
- The causes and biological mechanisms of cell change in farm animals - neoplasms, tumours and cancers, the course of an infectious disease, death, cancers etc.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Explain common health problems affecting animals, including the circumstances under which animals contract health problems, and methods used to prevent the development of ill health.
- Analyse physical indicator symptoms of ill health in animals.
- Determine the taxonomic class of animal pests and diseases.
- Explain the diagnostic characteristics of the main types of animal pathogenic microorganisms.
- Explain the methods used in the treatment of pests and diseases in farm animals.
- Explain the role of inflammation, including it's symptoms and causes, in animals.
- Explain the biological processes which affect and control the immune system in animals.
- Explain the biological processes which affect and control tissue repair in animals.
- Determine procedures for the management of wounds to animals, on a farm.
- Explain the processes involved in cellular change in animals.
- Diagnose simple health problems in farm animals
Request your free info pack today!