Study Australian Indigenous Plants
- Learn to identify, propagate and grow dozens of different genera
- Work with Natives in a nursery, flower farm, landscape business or garden
- Start your own business or enhance your career opportunities working for someone else
- Indulge a passion for natives, breed new varieties, understand wonders of the Australian bush which you may have previously not noticed
There are nine lessons in this course, as follows:
- Scope and Nature of Native Plants
- Taxonomy: Botanical and Horticultural Nomenclature
- Binomial System
- Levels of Division
- Plant Families
- Species, Hybrids, Varieties and Cultivars
- Botanical Keys and their Use
- Origins of Australian Plants
- Continental Drift
- Resources for More Information
- Sources for Seed Information
2. Cultural Techniques
- Things that can Go Wrong: Pests, Diseases, Environmental Problems, Nutrition
- Improving Soil Structure
- Soil Water Management
- No Dig Growing Techniques
- Feeding Natives
- Planting, Staking, Mulching
- Special Planting Techniques
- Natives for Shade
- Controlling Weeds
- Propagation; seed, cuttings, etc
- Stock Plants
- Types of Eucalypts; gums, stringybarks, boxes, ironbarks, yates, peppermints, etc.
- Hybrid Eucalypts
- Eucalypt Cultural Requirements
- Review of Important Eucalypt Species
4. Native Trees
- Casuarina; Casuarina and Allocasuarina, Gymnostoma and Ceuthostoma
- Casuarina Culture
- Review of Casuarina and Allocasuarina species
- Australian Conifers: Overview
- Cupressaceae: Actinostrobus, Calitris, Diselma
- Araucariaceae; Araucaria
- Podocarpaceae; Dacrydium, Microcachrys, Microstrobos, Phyllocladus, Podocarpus
- Introduction to Legumes; Papilionoideae, Caesalpiniodeae and Mimosoideae
- Overview of Acacia
- Acacia Cultural Requirements
- Review of Important Acacia species
- Elements of drawing a Landscape Plan
- Landscape Design Procedure
6. Myrtaceous Australian Plants
- Review of the Myrtaceae Family
- Callistemon overview
- Callistemon Culture
- Important Callistemon cultivars and species
- Leptospermum overview and Culture
- Important Leptospermum Species
- Grevillea Overview
- Types of flower: Erect Cluster, Toothbrush, Pendant, Cylinder
- McCilveray’s Classification into eleven main groups
- Flower and Leaf Terminology
- Review of Low Growing Grevilleas
- Banksia Type Hybrids
- Hybrid Parents from tropics and sub tropics
- Poorinda Hybrids
- Review of many Important Species
- Grevillea Culture
- Related Proteaceae Natives: Dryandra, Hakea, Banksia, Telopea
8. Ground Cover and Small Shrubs
9. Commercial Applications
- Fragrant Natives
- Uses for Eucalyptus
- Uses for Grevilleas
- Uses for Acacia: timber, tanning, cut flowers, food, etc
- Aboriginal Uses for Acacias
- Growing Natives in Containers
- Bush Tucker
If you are an Australian citizen you may be eligible to receive financial support,
meaning you can defer payment of your course fees. Additionally, if you are an
Australian resident you may also be eligible to
receive Abstudy/Austudy or Youth Allowance.
We live in a society where the pressures of daily living are high with financial
expenses, personal and work commitments, and mortgage and rental obligations.
Then there are the unexpected life challenges that also get thrown our way.
With this in mind the thought of taking on study can be daunting for most people.
Here at Learning Cloud we understand that life doesn’t run in a straight line it
has many ups and downs.
As an enrolled student at Learning Cloud, you are entitled to access a variety of
non-academic support services from the Student Services Unit. These supports are
designed to walk beside you throughout your studies they will assist you in life’s
ups and downs to provide you the best opportunity to successfully complete your
STUDENT SERVICES PROGRAMS INCLUDE:
- Careers Counselling Service
- General Counselling Service
- Disability Liaison Service
- Retention & Engagement Service
- Student Activities
- Disabled Australian Apprentice Wage Subsidy (DAAWS)
- E Counselling
- Parent support
- Reasonable Adjustment Plan (RAP)
Call our student support today on 1300 650 569 or Email Faculty
Get more information
Want more information about financial and student support? Fill out the enquiry
form to the right and a study consultant will contact you with the details
How will this course advance my career?
Learning Cloud programs have been developed in response to industry demand
and are specifically designed to equip graduates with work-ready skills.
Each participant will be trained and assessed in theory and in practical tasks
and Real-world exercises are used throughout the program.
Studies prove, time and again, that college-educated workers earn more than those
with only a high school qualification. College graduates often enjoy additional
benefits, including greater job opportunities and promotions. Though the proof for
greater earning potential exists, some might wonder whether the cost of the
education warrants the overall expense in the long run.
College Graduate vs. Non-Graduate Earnings
The National Centre for Education Statistics (NCES) analyses employee earnings data
biennially, according to education level. Findings indicate that workers with a
qualification earn significantly more than those without. Since the mid-1980s,
education has played a large part in potential wages, with bachelor's degree holders
taking home an average of 66% more than those with only a high school diploma do.
While college-educated workers' wages have increased over the past two decades,
those with only a high school education have seen decreases in annual salaries in
the same time period (nces.ed.gov).
How else will I benefit from studying with Learning Cloud?
- Studying online or distance means you can study where you want
and at your own pace.
- Receive career-focused training with practical, hands-on learning.
- All course materials are provided and all digital platforms are
interactive, work on any device and designed to be fun.
- Recognition of Prior Learning or Skills Recognition may be available
for previous work experience, formal training or qualifications in this field.