Develop your broad skills in plant propagation.
The course is divided into ten lessons as follows:
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- Introduction to Propagation
- Asexual and sexual propagation
- Aseptic Micropropagation, Runners, Suckers, Layering, Separation, Division, Grafting, Budding, Cuttings, Seed
- Genotype versus Phenotype
- Plant life cycles -phases of the sexual cycle; phases of the asexual cycle
- Annual, Perennial, Biennial Life Cycles
- Propagation Terminology
- Nursery production systems
- Operational Flow Chart for Seed Propagation
- Seed Propagation
- Seed Sources
- Maintaining Genetic Identity of Seed -Isolation, Rogueing, Testing, Hand Pollination
- Hybrid Seed Production
- Storing Seed
- Types of Seed Storage
- Seed Biology -Endospermic, Non Endospermic
- Dormancy Factors Affecting Germination
- Germination Treatments -boiling water, stratification
- Seed Raising Technique
- Potting Media
- Characteristics of Potting and Propagating Media
- Media derived from rock or stone
- Media derived from synthetics
- Organic Media
- Soil Media
- The UC System
- Chemical Characteristics -eg. pH, Cation Exchange Capacity, Salinity, Conductivity
- Laboratory Testing of Media
- Physical Characteristics
- Potting Mixes
- Propagating Media
- Nutrition at the Propagation Stage
- Nutrition Management and Fertiliser Application
- Vegetative Propagation I
- Reasons to propagate by cuttings
- Types -softwood, hardwood, semi hardwood, herbaceous
- Stem Cuttings, Tip, heel, nodal, basal
- Leaf and Leaf-bud cuttings
- Cane cuttings
- Root Cuttings
- Bulb Cuttings
- Hormone Treatments for Cutting Propagation
- Other Cutting Treatments; basal wounding, anti-transpirants, fungacides, disinfectants, mycorrhyza, etc
- Artificial Light for Propagation
- Cutting Propasgation Efficiency
- Rockwool Propagation
- Vegetative Propagation II
- Care of stock plants
- Managing Watering
- Vegetative Propagation III
- Budding and grafting
- Reasons for Grafting
- How a Graft forms
- Grafting Techniques; Types of Grafts
- What Plant to Graft on What
- Grafting Materials
- Root Grafting, Bench Grafting, Soft Tissue Grafting
- Establishing Rootstocks
- Tissue culture: Applications, Problems, Nutrient Media, Cleanliness, Growing Conditions
- Tissue Culture Procedures and Techniques
- Laboratory Requirements
- Biotech applications in Horticulture
- Propagation Structures and Materials
- Growing in a Greenhouse
- Growing Structures: Types of Greenhouses, Cold Frames, Shadehouses
- Propagating equipment -Heaters, Bottom Heat, Misting, Light Control, Benches etc
- Managing a Greenhouse
- Risk Management
- Nursery hygiene
- Risk assessment and management
- Safety -tools, equipment handling, electricity, etc
- Pest and Disease Management
- Environmental Problems and management
- Nursery Management I
- Plant modification techniques
- Management policies
- Keeping Propagation Records
- Nursery Production Systems
- Nursery Management II
- Nursery standards, cost efficiencies, site planning and development
For more information about this course, please request your free information pack.
If you are an Australian citizen you may be eligible to receive financial support,
meaning you can defer payment of your course fees. Additionally, if you are an
Australian resident you may also be eligible to
receive Abstudy/Austudy or Youth Allowance.
We live in a society where the pressures of daily living are high with financial
expenses, personal and work commitments, and mortgage and rental obligations.
Then there are the unexpected life challenges that also get thrown our way.
With this in mind the thought of taking on study can be daunting for most people.
Here at Learning Cloud we understand that life doesn’t run in a straight line it
has many ups and downs.
As an enrolled student at Learning Cloud, you are entitled to access a variety of
non-academic support services from the Student Services Unit. These supports are
designed to walk beside you throughout your studies they will assist you in life’s
ups and downs to provide you the best opportunity to successfully complete your
STUDENT SERVICES PROGRAMS INCLUDE:
- Careers Counselling Service
- General Counselling Service
- Disability Liaison Service
- Retention & Engagement Service
- Student Activities
- Disabled Australian Apprentice Wage Subsidy (DAAWS)
- E Counselling
- Parent support
- Reasonable Adjustment Plan (RAP)
Call our student support today on 1300 650 569 or Email Faculty
Get more information
Want more information about financial and student support? Fill out the enquiry
form to the right and a study consultant will contact you with the details
How will this course advance my career?
Learning Cloud programs have been developed in response to industry demand
and are specifically designed to equip graduates with work-ready skills.
Each participant will be trained and assessed in theory and in practical tasks
and Real-world exercises are used throughout the program.
Studies prove, time and again, that college-educated workers earn more than those
with only a high school qualification. College graduates often enjoy additional
benefits, including greater job opportunities and promotions. Though the proof for
greater earning potential exists, some might wonder whether the cost of the
education warrants the overall expense in the long run.
College Graduate vs. Non-Graduate Earnings
The National Centre for Education Statistics (NCES) analyses employee earnings data
biennially, according to education level. Findings indicate that workers with a
qualification earn significantly more than those without. Since the mid-1980s,
education has played a large part in potential wages, with bachelor's degree holders
taking home an average of 66% more than those with only a high school diploma do.
While college-educated workers' wages have increased over the past two decades,
those with only a high school education have seen decreases in annual salaries in
the same time period (nces.ed.gov).
How else will I benefit from studying with Learning Cloud?
- Studying online or distance means you can study where you want
and at your own pace.
- Receive career-focused training with practical, hands-on learning.
- All course materials are provided and all digital platforms are
interactive, work on any device and designed to be fun.
- Recognition of Prior Learning or Skills Recognition may be available
for previous work experience, formal training or qualifications in this field.