Discover how to plan and restore different projects from small to large, residential to commercial dwellings. Learn to renovate individual rooms, homes & other buildings.
Study construction methods, materials and finishes for building improvements.
A Course for Building Owners, Managers or Budding Tradesmen/women
Learn to evaluate, prioritise and plan the renovation of a building or part of a building; then enact that plan by undertaking the work, managing the work, or both.
Building renovation projects may be large or small, costly or expensive, complex or simple. All such projects should be carefully considered with respect to these issues before anything is ever done.
Any project can be disruptive for a home owner or building manager. The longer it takes to complete, the more disruptive it can be. Give serious consideration to what is an acceptable level of disruption, and make sure everyone concerned understands the time frame which needs to be worked to.
For any project to be successful it should be realistically conceived and its execution should be planned to achieve a useful outcome within the constraints of financial and other resources available, and with a comfortable margin of error.
Face Reality from the Start!
Renovation projects often do not go exactly to plan. This is because there are inevitably unpredictable factors at play which can impact a project as you proceed. Always expect the unexpected.
Prepare for the unexpected by allocating more money and time than what you first think is needed. This way you have the unexpected covered; and if the unexpected does not happen; you will have a pleasant surprise.
There are 10 lessons in this course:
- Introduction to Building Renovation Projects
- Core Structural and Site Works.
- Replacing/Repairing Roofs and Floors
- Doors, Windows and walls
- Carpentry Reno
- Plumbing Basics
- Electrical Basics
- Renovating a Room
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Determine the nature and scope of work required for a building renovation project.
- Explain how to prioritise and address the most important structural deficiencies in the early stages of any building renovation.
- Explain how roofs and floors can be repaired or renovated in an old building.
- Explain how doors and windows can be repaired or replaced in a building or room renovation.
- Explain how plastering and tiling work is undertaken
- Explain tools, techniques and applications for carpentry work in building repairs and renovations.
- Explain selection and use of paints in interior and exterior decoration of buildings.
- Explain plumbing work for renovation jobs
- Explain electrical work for building renovations.
- Plan and either manage or undertake the renovation of a room